The Historic Homes of England
Bramall Hall, Cheshire
Dating back to Tudor times, Bramall Hall is, confusingly, situated in Bramhall, a suburb of Stockport. There have been a number of different spellings down the centuries and, even more confusingly, the 70-acre landscaped grounds, incorporating woodland, lakes and gardens, are called Bramhall Park. The Ladybrook and Carr Brook both run through the estate which once covered more than 2,000 acres when it was home to cattle, deer, and horses, and also used for hunting.
Important in Anglo-saxon times the local manor was decimated by William the Conqueror after he began harrying the north in 1069. The land later passed to the Davenport family who held it for more than 500 years, building the first timber-framed house during the 14th century. Much changed, and possibly vandalised at one stage, several structural alterations and rebuilding took place during the 16th and 19th centuries. The house and estate remained in the hands of the Davenports until 1877 when it was sold but remained empty until acquired five years later by the industrialist, Thomas Nevill, for his son Charles. In 1916 it passed to Charles’s nephew and adopted son, also called Thomas but he was forced to sell up after the First World War when it was acquired by John Henry Davies, President of Manchester United Football Club. His widow later sold it to Hazel Grove and Bramhall UDC with a view to it being opened to the public.
Happily, both the house and grounds remain open under the auspices of Stockport Council and have been used for a variety of activities, including the backdrop to several films and television’s Coronation Street. With help from the Heritage Lottery Fund this Grade 1 listed building has now been completely restored.