A KINGDOM FOR A HORSE!
This plaque in Wincanton, Somerset, commemorates a little-known battle which took place in 1688 between the supporters of Protestant William of Orange and those loyal to Catholic King James II.
Having been invited to invade England and oust James, William landed in Devon, and as he marched towards London to take up the crown, some of his men went on to Wincanton to obtain fresh horses.
They found some of James’s soldiers stationed there and a short battle took place between Flingers Lane and Ireson Lane. Several soldiers on each side were killed.
On reaching the town, William stayed in the manor house known locally as “The Dogs”, because of the two stone greyhound gatepost finials at the entrance, and his room is still called “The Orange Room” to this day.