1 Reformation Wall
The Parc des Bastions lies at the foot of the old part of Geneva city, where the old city walls lay. Along one side of the park lies the Reformation Wall – a monument to the Reformation, built between 1909 and 1917. It is the work of Paul Landowski, who also designed the famous Chirst the Redeemer statue in Rio. There are four central figures of William Farel, John Calvin, Theodore de Beze and John Knox who were the leading figures of the Genevan Reformation. They are flanked on either side by three figures and four stone reliefs that depict the main figures and events that marked the spread of the Reformation from Geneva across Europe and to America. On either side of the wide steps are two stones engraved with the names of Luther and Zwingli, which pay tribute to the men who spearheaded the 16th-century Reformation in Germany and German-speaking Switzerland a generation before Calvin. Marie Dentiere, one of the first female theologians, is also commemorated here.