Kind-hearted stranger re­unites widow wid­ower with his pre­cious ring af af­ter hunt on Welsh beach

Wales On Sunday - - NEWS - TOM MOLLOY news­desk@waleson­line.co.uk

Alan Hall en­listed the help of metal de­tec­torist Paul Gard­ner to help him find his late wife’s wed­ding ring, which he lost on Llan­dudno beach

AWIDOWER left heart­bro­ken when he lost his late wife’s wed­ding ring on a beach was re­united with it thanks to a kind-hearted stranger.

Alan Hall, 69, who had worn the ring on his lit­tle fin­ger ev­ery sin­gle day since her death in Septem­ber of last year, re­alised the jew­ellery had gone af­ter a fish­ing trip last Sun­day, near the Lit­tle Orme.

Af­ter fran­ti­cally search­ing for it on Llan­dudno beach as the tide came in, he gave up fear­ing it was lost for­ever.

“I was dev­as­tated. There were tears and all sorts”, he said. “I was sat on the beach in Llan­dudno, I looked down at my hand and it wasn’t there and I didn’t know how long it had been miss­ing.”

Des­per­ate, Mr Hall, who had been mar­ried for 48 years, de­cided to en­list the help of metal de­tec­torist Paul Gard­ner when he re­turned home to Moss­ley in Manch­ester.

Mr Gard­ner, who has been metal de­tect­ing for 18 months, and lives in Chad­der­ton near Manch­ester, said: “I got an email from Alan. I didn’t know him but he was ask­ing for a bit of ad­vice about metal de­tec­tors.

“I work nights so I booked the next night off work and he picked me up af­ter work, on the Tues­day morn­ing at about 6.15am. We drove to Llan­dudno from Manch­ester, got there about 8am and I started right away.

“It came to about 12pm and his ring hadn’t popped up. I was even go­ing in the sea with my boots on.

“About 1.45pm I got a sig­nal so I dug it and lo and be­hold it was Alan’s late wife’s wed­ding ring. About 10 min­utes be­fore I’d found it he was just stood there mo­tion­less star­ing at the sea and I was fill­ing up be­cause he looked ab­so­lutely heart­bro­ken. But we were both ab­so­lutely chuffed to bits.”

Mr Gard­ner, who works as a qual­ity and safety of­fi­cer for a man­u­fac­tur­ing com­pany, said his phone has been ring­ing off the hook since peo­ple found out about his good deed.

He added: “Alan asked if he could treat me, but I said he didn’t have to and I’d just rather get home. I just went to the off li­cence, got 10 cans of lager, supped them and just got pleas­antly drunk in my house. I work nights and the phone’s not stopped ring­ing, so I’m a bit tired but I’m pleased with it.

“I got a lovely mes­sage on Face­book from Alan’s daugh­ter as well.”

Mr Hall said he can’t thank Mr Gard­ner enough for his help and it seems like he’s made a new friend in the process. He’s also de­cided to stop wear­ing the ring on his fin­ger to avoid re­peat in­ci­dents.

He said: “I’m ex­tremely grate­ful, I can’t thank him enough.

“I ac­tu­ally spoke to him ear­lier to­day and he’s just a re­ally nice chap.

“I’ve put it [the ring] some­where safe. I can’t go through that again, it was a night­mare.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.