EGYPT HO­TEL DEATHS ‘NOT GAS’

Wales On Sunday - - NEWS - HE­LEN WIL­LIAM news­desk@waleson­line.co.uk

EGYPT’S top pros­e­cu­tor has dis­missed claims that the deaths of a Bri­tish cou­ple af­ter stay­ing at a re­sort ho­tel in Egypt was due to poi­sonous gas emis­sions in their room.

It comes af­ter Kelly Ormerod, daugh­ter of John and Su­san Cooper, of Burn­ley, Lan­cashire, who died on Tues­day while stay­ing at the Steigen­berger Aqua Magic in the Red Sea re­sort of Hurghada, said there was “some­thing sus­pi­cious” be­hind the deaths. Mrs Ormerod had also been stay­ing at the ho­tel with her three chil­dren.

A tech­ni­cal team in­spec­tion of the Coop­ers’ room showed there were no toxic or harm­ful gas emis­sions or leaks, ac­cord­ing to a state­ment by pros­e­cu­tor Na­bil Sadeq yes­ter­day. It also says his of­fice is wait­ing for a foren­sic anal­y­sis from the bod­ies.

Tour op­er­a­tor Thomas Cook, which de­cided to re­move all its cus­tomers from the ho­tel as a “pre­cau­tion­ary mea­sure”, says the cause of death “re­mains un­clear”.

It said it evac­u­ated cus­tomers from the ho­tel amid “fur­ther re­ports of a raised level of ill­ness among guests”.

Mr Cooper, 69, died in his room, while Mrs Cooper, 63, a Thomas Cook em­ployee, died af­ter be­ing taken to of sam­ples taken hos­pi­tal, ac­cord­ing to Mrs Ormerod.

A For­eign Of­fice spokesman said: “We con­tinue to sup­port the fam­ily of a cou­ple who died in Hurghada, Egypt, and re­main in con­tact with Thomas Cook.”

Mrs Ormerod told Sky News: “They had no ill­ness, no stom­ach up­set, no vom­it­ing, no ill­ness – they were in per­fect health when they went to bed.

She said at around 11am they hadn’t ap­peared so she knocked on their door. “They said they were ex­tremely ill and needed help. I watched them die be­fore my eyes and they had ex­actly the same symp­toms.

“I be­lieve some­thing sus­pi­cious has gone on.”

Ali­son Cope, 44, from Mose­ley, Birm­ing­ham, who was among those ho­tel guests who de­cided to fly home, said five out of seven of her party have been ill for around 10 days.

She said: “The food is just dis­gust­ing, it’s un­der­cooked. I know so many peo­ple have been ill.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.