‘Global first’ on Ebola
TWO of the first 10 people to receive an experimental treatment for the Ebola virus in the latest outbreak have recovered, Congo’s health ministry has said.
The head of the World Health Organisation yesterday congratulated Congo’s government for making several experimental treatments available during the outbreak, declared on August 1, calling it “a global first, and a ray of hope for people with the disease”.
The two people received the mAb114 treatment isolated from a survivor of an Ebola outbreak in 1995.
Congo says 77 Ebola cases have been confirmed so far, including 39 deaths and 11 recoveries.