Wales On Sunday - - SPORT -

ABERAVON con­tin­ued their ex­cel­lent start to the sea­son in the Prin­ci­pal­ity Premier­ship with a nar­row vic­tory over Car­marthen Quins at the Tal­bot Ath­letic Ground.

In what was a drab low-scor­ing con­test and a game that, in truth, will not live too long in the mem­ory, it was the West Walians who grabbed the only score of the first half and it came two min­utes be­fore the break.

The try was scored by wing Dy­lan Mor­gans al­though the con­ver­sion was missed by full-back Aled Thomas with the vis­i­tors tak­ing a 5-0 lead into the in­ter­val.

That was the way it stayed un­til three min­utes past the hour mark when a bit of magic saw the Wizards take the lead, as wing St­eff An­drews fin­ished off a move.

An­drews’ try was con­verted by James Gar­land to edge Ja­son Hy­att’s side 7-5 in front.

Gar­land then split the posts with a penalty on 71 min­utes to give Aberavon a five-point lead and they held on regis­ter a sixth vic­tory from the first seven matches.

The Quins, mean­while, had to make do with a los­ing bonus point and this was their third de­feat from the open­ing seven matches hav­ing also picked up four wins. ABERAVON – Try: S An­drews; Con: J Gar­land; Pen: J Gar­land. QUINS – Try: D Mor­gans. BAR­GOED, with wind and sweep­ing rain on their backs in the sec­ond half, con­trolled the con­di­tions well to earn a valu­able bonus-point win against Llanelli.

It took just two min­utes for Llanelli to regis­ter the open­ing try when Nathan Hart was sent over in the corner. Ash­ley Sut­ton con­verted, but missed a chance to take his side 10-0 up a few min­utes later when his mid-range penalty drifted wide.

Bar­goed struck back on 15 min­utes af­ter Bar­ney Nightin­gale picked up Josh Prosser’s chip to ground in the corner. Prosser missed the con­ver­sion.

With 12 min­utes to go in the first half, the home side were tem­po­rar­ily re­duced to 14 men af­ter Ash­ley Nor­ton saw yel­low for de­lib­er­ate knock-on, but Llanelli were only able to in­crease their lead to 10-5 thanks to a Sut­ton penalty.

That was can­celled out just be­fore the break as Prosser’s suc­cess­ful kick ad­dressed the bal­ance.

Just 90 sec­onds into the sec­ond half, Bar­goed took the lead for the first time thanks to an un­con­verted Ash­ley Gib­son try in the corner.

A penalty try six min­utes later in­creased their ad­van­tage to 20-10 be­fore a Rhys Buck­ley try in the corner, which was con­verted well by Prosser, earned them the bonus point.

A flurry of re­place­ments from Bar­goed on 65 min­utes slowed their pace down a bit, but they’d done enough to se­cure max­i­mum points. BAR­GOED – Tries: B Nightin­gale, A Gib­son, Penalty try, R Buck­ley; Con: J Prosser; Pen: J Prosser LLANELLI – Try: N Hart; Con: A Sut­ton; Pen: A Sut­ton

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.