35 15

Wales On Sunday - - PREMIERSHIP RUGBY -

RGC1404 put Brid­gend to the sword in bru­tal fash­ion with a bonus-point vic­tory at Stadiwm Zip World to move into the top half of the Prin­ci­pal­ity Premier­ship.

A brace of tries from Danny Cross plus a try apiece from Efan Jones, Evan Yard­ley and Cam Davies was enough to see off Matt Silva’s side.

For­mer Wales un­der 20s out­side half Billy McBryde also con­trib­uted 11 points from the kick­ing tee to con­demn Brid­gend to their first de­feat in three games.

All Brid­gend could muster was two tries cour­tesy of Jamie Mur­phy and Con­nor Tan­tum.

Af­ter a cagey open­ing to the game Brid­gend got on the score­board with Cai Evans knocking over a penalty af­ter the hosts in­fringed at the break­down.

But RGC hit straight back when Jones took a quickly tapped penalty be­fore of­fload­ing to Karl Martin who broke nu­mer­ous tack­les to set up an at­tack­ing po­si­tion in the Brid­gend 22. De­spite ini­tially hold­ing firm RGC fi­nally found a way to break down the vis­it­ing de­fence with Cross touch­ing down at the far right-hand cor­ner for a try which McBryde con­verted.

The Gogs were now full of con­fi­dence and im­me­di­ately went on the at­tack with Cross mak­ing an in­ci­sive 60 me­tre break up field. But such a promis­ing at­tack came to noth­ing with Cross’ off­load un­able to find the hands of Iolo Evans.

Mark Jones’ side con­tin­ued to bom­bard the Brid­gend de­fence but found them a tough nut to crack as the vis­i­tors suc­cess­fully kept out RGC’S driv­ing li­ne­out.

But Brid­gend were forced to con­cede an­other penalty al­low­ing McBryde to slot over an­other penalty from straight in front of the posts.

Cross grabbed his sec­ond try af­ter he was the ben­e­fi­ciary of a ter­rific break and off­load from Mei Parry with McBryde con­vert­ing.

The in­side cen­tre was on fire and was de­nied a hat-trick on the stroke of half-time when he was held up over the line af­ter a tap tackle by the vis­i­tors mean­ing the Gogs led 17-3 at the in­ter­val.

The hosts came out of the blocks fir­ing in the early stages of the sec­ond half with Brid­gend strug­gling to cope with their phys­i­cal­ity and dy­namism. Scrum-half Jones crossed for their third try due to the RGC scrum push­ing their vis­i­tors back­wards at a rate of knots.

De­spite trail­ing by 21 points Brid­gend re­fused to throw in the towel with out­side half Mur­phy dart­ing over from short range af­ter some pow­er­ful play by the home sides pack. But Silva’s men could not string more than a few phases to­gether with the RGC de­fen­sive line forc­ing their vis­i­tors into nu­mer­ous er­rors.

Af­ter a scrappy quar­ter the hosts fi­nally se­cured the try bonus point when Yard­ley crashed over from short range af­ter a se­ries of pow­er­ful driv­ing li­ne­outs by the north Walians.

Tan­tum crossed at the far right­hand cor­ner for Brid­gend af­ter a quickly taken penalty had put the hosts on the back-foot. But Davies put the fi­nal nail in Brid­gend’s cof­fin with a try from 30 me­tres out.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.