Wales On Sunday

Four-midable Wrexham do it again on the road


WOKING..............................0 WREXHAM.........................4

WREXHAM followed up their midweek win at Halifax with another 4-0 away success, this time at the expense of Woking.

To be fair, The Cards put up a lot more resistance than Halifax, and while there was no doubt that Wrexham were more than deserving winners, two goals in added time were a cruel blow for a home side.

Dean Keates made one change from the side which won spectacula­rly on Tuesday, with Reece Hall-Johnson replacing Tyler French, while Jay Harris returning to the bench after suspension.

After 15 minutes, Wrexham had a strong spell of pressure, and after an initial Young corner was punched clear under pressure by Craig Ross, there followed a passage of play which ought to have brought a goal.

First Young swept in another corner, which carried through to Shaun Pearson at the far post. His header was cleared off the line by Kyran Lofthouse against a team mate, and the ball ricocheted against the post before being cleared for a throw.

From that throw, Gold Omotayo flicked the ball on perfectly, and Jamie Reckord, surging in at the far post, met it with a firm header which was denied by a brilliant save, with Dior Angus unable to steer the loose ball home from close range.

Woking enjoyed a good 15 minutes of pressure but didn’t threaten the Wrexham goal, and paid the price when Wrexham’s next meaningful attack brought about a breakthrou­gh.

Angus held the ball up well on the left before working it inside for Young to feed Jordan Davies. He turned Ben Gerring neatly and the centre-back tripped him, allowing Young to send Ross the wrong way from the spot.

A Young free-kick from the left was well held by Ross as players tried to get in front of him, before in the 52nd minute The Dragons doubled their lead.

Reckord swept a cross in from the left, Omotayo took a swipe at it and missed, but the ball carried to Hall-Johnson, who finished accurately into the bottom corner.

Having taken a two-goal advantage, Wrexham were happy to take the sting out of the game as they did in the second half at The Shay, and it looked like the game would peter out in the closing stages, with little sign of the injury time drama to come.

The game burst back into life when Davies turned in the box in the 90th minute and fed a teasing ball in just behind substitute Chris Sang.

Within a minute, Sang had collected his first assist for his new club, turning neatly and passing between the rather square centre-backs to send Omotayo clear.

The big striker coolly dinked the ball over the onrushing keeper to open his Wrexham account with some style.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK