China Red turn it on in fi­nal quar­ter

Warwickshire Telegraph - - SPORT - By MIKE MAD­DOX

WITH their first team un­beaten and top­ping the league Tile Hill Tro­jans 2 were hop­ing they could get on to the vic­tory trail them­selves when they trav­elled the short dis­tance to Wood­lands, but Warwick China Red had other ideas.

The match was played, as usual with China Red, at a fast and fu­ri­ous pace, but the stu­dents from Warwick Uni­ver­sity had to fight all the way be­fore com­ing from be­hind to beat Tro­jans’ sec­onds 64-56, a win which they did not look like achiev­ing as the game en­tered the fi­nal quar­ter.

It had been nail-bit­ing all through, but Tro­jans had sneaked ahead to lead 44-39 and they looked to be in con­trol as China Red floun­dered.

But it all turned in two min­utes as the home side’s shots be­gan to drop and sud­denly it was the vis­i­tors’ turn to panic as they now trailed 44-51. Egis Bal­i­u­nas pulled them back with a strong in­side game but their hosts went again and des­per­a­tion crept into the Tile Hill play.

But they made it four points down with three min­utes left and it was game on once more, but that was where Warwick China Red found that the net was in re­ceiv­ing mode and they saw them­selves home with a late flurry.

Bal­i­u­nas hit 18 for Tro­jans as Nolan and Zhuang shared 30 for China Red who fi­nally got their elu­sive first win.

JM Griz­zles also went in search of their open­ing vic­tory and al­most pulled it off against Cra­covia Strat­ford, be­fore fall­ing 56-58 to their lo­cal ri­vals. Griz­zles coach Ian A’Kem­pis was most un­happy with his side’s sec­ond pe­riod per­for­mance which brought them just three points, and cost them the lead as Strat­ford took con­trol to move six clear go­ing into the fi­nal quar­ter.

Griz­zles hit hard to grab the ini­tia­tive at 52-48 but missed free-shots and a burst of ac­tiv­ity at the other end saw Strat­ford re­turn home with the points.

Tam­worth Tigers took their full squad to Tile Hill where Tro­jans 1 showed their class to thwart the of­fen­sive play of their vis­i­tors. Com­ing out of the trap like greyhounds to lead by ten af­ter five min­utes, Tro­jans stalled and were pegged back as Tigers made it 27-21 be­fore their of­fense was shut out and the home side made a run which brought the in­ter­val scores to 40-23. Then it took Tro­jans al­most seven min­utes to notch their first points of the third quar­ter be­fore nor­mal­ity re­turned to Here­ward Col­lege and they re­gained con­trol of the Tiger’s hoop to ease home 68-44.

Ar­den Griffins vis­ited Leamington for the first time and showed Spar­tans why they are up there with the best at the top of the divi­sion. Griffins won 92-58 with a su­per show from their lead­ing scorers. Paul Roberts landed another five three­p­oint­ers, tak­ing him to over forty for the sea­son and his 23 point haul was well sup­ported by Sam Work­man and Luke Hat­field who both grabbed 19, while Michael O’Neill had a good spell to land 12 for the league’s new­est club.

Tile Hill Tro­jans 2 went down to Warwick China Red

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.