West Sussex County Times

Warning after wheat bag fire

-

A microwavea­ble wheat bag ignited in an elderly woman’s kitchen, sparking a warning from the fire service.

Wheat bags are commonly used to relieve pain but the there is a fire risk if people overheat them or don’t follow the instructio­ns, a spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue said.

“The lady had tried to remove it from the property, after seeing it had caught fire, but the smoke generated by the burning wheat bag had almost overcome her. Firefighte­rs moved the wheat bag outside and then ventilated the property,” he added.

Retained Watch Commander, Phil Pierpoint, said: “Rather than dial 999 immediatel­y she had tried to tackle the fire herself, as she said she did not wish to be a burden.

“If there is an emergency and we are needed, it is never a burden.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK