In­quest ad­journed again on Manch­ester bomber

Western Mail - - UK&WORLD NEWS -

IN­QUEST pro­ceed­ings into the death of Manch­ester Arena sui­cide bomber Sal­man Abedi have been ad­journed again un­til Oc­to­ber.

Fiona Bor­rill, act­ing se­nior coroner for Manch­ester City, cited a “live” po­lice in­ves­ti­ga­tion still un­der way into the ter­ror at­tack as one of the rea­sons a hear­ing could not yet go ahead yet.

Ms Bor­rill also said the Chief Coroner had de­cided that an ex­pe­ri­enced re­tired judge should deal with the in­quests for the 22 peo­ple who died in the at­tack, as well as that of Abedi, but no-one has yet been ap­pointed to the role.

Only the coroner, court staff and three mem­bers of the press were present at Manch­ester Coroner’s Court for yes­ter­day’s hear­ing.

A fur­ther de­lay was re­solved this week, the coroner said, with a change in the law – the In­ves­ti­ga­tory Pow­ers Act so that the re­tired judge to be ap­pointed can deal with “sen­si­tive” ev­i­dence to do with na­tional se­cu­rity is­sues.

Ms Bor­rill said the re­tired judge will be nom­i­nated by au­tumn of this year.

Ear­lier this month, at a pre-in­quest hear­ing for the 22 vic­tims, Elkan Abra­ham­son, a solic­i­tor rep­re­sent­ing the fam­ily of eight-year-old Saffie Rose Rous­sos, the youngest vic­tim, said fam­i­lies would be dis­tressed by the de­lays, more than a year on from the bomb­ing.

Ms Bor­rill ad­journed pro­ceed­ings for Sal­man Abedi’s in­quest to Oc­to­ber 19 for a fur­ther pre-in­quest hear­ing.

The 22-year-old, from Manch­ester, whose fam­ily set­tled in the UK from Libya, det­o­nated his de­vice at the end of an Ari­ane Grande con­cert on May 22 last year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.