‘Crazy to put Santorini on the quarantine list’
A HOLIDAYMAKER has described the Welsh Government’s decision to add the Greek island of Santorini to its quarantine list at short notice as “absolutely crazy”.
The measure, which also applies to Serifos and Tinos, was announced shortly before 10pm on Tuesday and came into force from 4am yesterday.
Health Minister Vaughan Gething said the decision followed assessments by the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC).
One holidaymaker from Cardiff, who is currently in Santorini, said: “It’s very safe here and only one reported case here, so I just cannot get my head around the drastic measures enforced by the Welsh Government.
“They haven’t even given any time to try and get an earlier flight home.
“I got the news with four hours to spare so I have no choice but to self-isolate at home now for 14 days when I land on Thursday night.”
The woman, who asked not to be named, said that quarantining meant she would be unable to see a family member who had fallen seriously ill and was in hospital.
“I don’t understand why it is deemed such a risk here,” she said.
“Especially when there is such a small amount of Welsh people here in Santorini currently.”
The Welsh Government said on Twitter that the decision was due to a “rising number” of coronavirus cases in the named Greek islands.
Mr Gething has previously said that an “element” of coronavirus transmission in Wales is from people travelling back from Europe.
He said many of the new infections had been transmitted due to a lack of social distancing and urged people to take “extra care” when meeting others indoors.
Last Thursday, the Welsh Government introduced the measure for Portugal, Gibraltar, French Polynesia and six other Greek islands.