Teenager jailed for sup­ply­ing drugs that killed two at city night­club

Western Morning News - - Westcountry Business -

A teenager has been jailed for sup­ply­ing druwgs from the ‘dark web’ to two friends who later died after a night at a Ply­mouth club.

Univer­sity stu­dent Char­lie Gre­gory, aged 19, shared MDMA with four friends dur­ing the Basshunter gig at Pryzm, a court heard.

Aaron Reilly, from New­ton Ab­bot, and Joshua Brock, from Oke­hamp­ton, col­lapsed in the club after tak­ing the drug – more com­monly known as Ec­stasy – in the form of bombs.

The two 19-year-olds were pro­nounced dead at Der­ri­ford Hos­pi­tal, Ply­mouth Crown Court heard.

Judge Robert Lin­ford told a pub­lic gallery packed with fam­ily and friends that he was sen­tenc­ing Gre­gory for sup­ply­ing the drugs and not for man­slaugh­ter.

Jail­ing him for 14 months, he added: “If peo­ple like you were not pre­pared to source and sup­ply this lethal drug, then peo­ple like Mr Reilly and Mr Brock would not be dy­ing in such cir­cum­stances.

“How many peo­ple have to die before peo­ple sup­ply­ing and tak­ing the drug un­der­stand its lethal qual­i­ties?”

Judge Lin­ford said Gre­gory did not try and find out the pu­rity of the drugs nor weigh them into doses – ad­mit­ting they were “gen­er­ous”.

Seven teenage friends had ar­ranged to travel from their home area around Oke­hamp­ton to Ply­mouth to at­tend the Basshunter DJ set at the Pryzm club, Bar­bican Leisure Park, on the evening of De­cem­ber 8 last year.

Pros­e­cu­tor Llewellyn Sel­lick said Gre­gory told his friends he could get MDMA for them to take. He added the de­fen­dant bought the drugs from the dark web us­ing the elec­tronic cur­rency Bit­coin, which can­not be traced.

Mr Sel­lick said Gre­gory made “Mandy bombs”, where the pow­der was put into a Ri­zla pa­per and twisted up into small pack­ages.

The bar­ris­ter said: “He did not have scales so there was no way of mea­sur­ing out the drugs. He him­self said he eye­balled the amounts”.

Mr Sel­lick said once in­side Gre­gory handed out the bombs and four of the group in­gested one each – Gre­gory him­self, Aaron Reilly, Joshua Brock and an­other teenager.

Around an hour later, at about mid­night, Gre­gory gave Mr Reilly and Mr Brock an­other “bomb” along with the fourth friend.

But Mr Sel­lick said the fourth youth “threw most of his bomb onto the floor”.

The court heard that at about 1.30am Gre­gory was seen by a door su­per­vi­sor “sweat­ing pro­fusely and clearly un­der the in­flu­ence of drugs”. He was taken to a se­cu­rity room and told he would be searched, where­upon he gave up the clear bag of pow­der and said it was MDMA. It was later found to be 1.6gms worth of the class A drug. He was ejected from the club.

Mr Sel­lick said half an hour later the door su­per­vi­sor saw Mr Reilly and Mr Brock pass out. Both were taken to a med­i­cal room and at­tempts were made to re­sus­ci­tate them. The club was closed and a warn­ing put out to any­one who had taken the drug. The court heard both young men were pro­nounced dead shortly before 3am at Der­ri­ford Hos­pi­tal.

Gre­gory, of Stan­nary Place, Chag­ford, pleaded guilty before mag­is­trates to four counts of sup­ply­ing a Class A drug and one of pos­ses­sion of the MDMA found at the club.

Mr Sel­lick re­vealed that a tox­i­col­ogy anal­y­sis found Joshua Brock had 7.6mg per litre of blood in his sys­tem while Aaron Reilly had 4.2mg per litre of blood. He added the fig­ures were con­sid­ered “very high” and were within the usual range for deaths.

So­lic­i­tor Stephen Nunn, for Gre­gory, said it was a “tragic case”. He added: “He has clear remorse. He blames him­self bit­terly for the death of two friends, who were en­tirely blame­less.”

‘How many must die before peo­ple re­alise its lethal qual­i­ties?’

Judge Robert Lin­ford

Char­lie Gre­gory ar­riv­ing at Ply­mouth Crown Court yes­ter­dayPICTURE: PENNY CROSS

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.