Wokingham Today

Travel disruption and bad weather


TRAVEL disruption and bad weather can delay or prevent you getting to work. It can also mean that your employer may need to adapt working arrangemen­ts or close your workplace.

If you cannot get to work because of bad weather or travel disruption you must inform your employer as soon as possible.

There is no automatic legal right for you to be paid for working time you have missed because of this.

If your employer-provided transport is cancelled because of bad weather or travel disruption, and you were otherwise ready, willing and available to work, you should be paid for any working time you miss.

Your contract or workplace policy may have special arrangemen­ts covering this kind of situation. This might include pay. Your employer might make discretion­ary, informal arrangemen­ts.

If your employer decides to close and you were ready, available and willing to work you will usually be entitled to your normal pay.

If your workplace partly closes, or your hours are reduced, or your manager can’t get in or access to the building is not possible, then your employer might make arrangemen­ts which could mean that you would have to do your work somewhere else or work from home.

Whatever options are decided on, your employer should keep in communicat­ion with you and be flexible, fair and consistent.

For example your employer might allow you to come in a little later than usual if the travel disruption or weather is expected to improve, use flexible working to let you make up any lost working time, offer you the chance to swap shifts or work overtime, use homeworkin­g for a while, or agree for you to take time off as paid annual leave.

Your employer should take extra care for vulnerable workers, such as pregnant women.

If a risk cannot be avoided or removed some workers may have to be sent home to protect their health, usually on full pay.

You can get help, informatio­n and advice from your local Citizens Advice or visit www.citizensad­vicewoking­ham. org.uk or contact Citizens Advice Wokingham at Second Floor, Waterford House, Erfstadt Court, Wokingham RG40 2YF. Tel: 0300 330 1189. email: public@ citizensad­vicewoking­ham.org.uk

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom