Wokingham Today

Moles unable to defeat Thatcham

Thatcham Town 3 Binfield 1

- BINFIELD: Craven, Thompson-Wheeler, Brown, Leonetti (Colverd 32), Shaw (Akers 80), Gerrard, Moore, Knight (c), Davies, Laflin (Gavin 75), Santoro. Subs not used: Whyte, Gritt. Attendance: 111

BINFIELD were unable to end the 30-game unbeaten run of Thatcham on Tuesday night as their League Cup campaign came to an end at the quarterfin­al stage.

In-form Thatcham are still battling for silverware on four fronts, including the FA Vase where they will face Stockton Town in the final at Wembley in May, and they held off a firm Binfield challenge at Waterside Park.

The hosts took the lead through Tom Browne’s brilliant free-kick, but Roger Herridge’s men equalised when Harry Laflin scored on the counter-attack.

Thatcham netted again before halftime courtesy of a fierce Gavin James strike and the win was sealed when James headed in after the break.

But Kingfisher­s boss Danny Robinson was full of praise for his opponents. “Binfield are a good side,” he said. “Roger’s got them very energetic, very well drilled and they caused us problems in the first half.

“They are a good side and I can see why they’re doing so well and why they’re on a good run themselves.

“They’ve got plenty of energy and going forward they’re very good.

“But it was quality from my players and it was one of my favourite performanc­es of the season.”

Binfield made two changes from the defeat to Bracknell Town last time out with Chris Gerrard and Laflin coming in for Jack Broome and Joel Jacobs.

And they fell behind after just six minutes when Browne brilliantl­y dipped a free-kick over the wall and into the bottom corner.

But the Moles responded when a cross from the right was headed in by Laflin for his fourth goal of the season.

The visitors continued to press but were dealt a blow just past the half hour mark when Lewis Leonetti was forced off injured and replaced by Alex Colverd.

And Thatcham got their noses in front when a cross from the left fell kindly James to swivel and smash in from close range.

The home side stepped through the gears after the restart with James again on target, heading in from Harry Grant’s corner.

Ian Davies came close to pulling one back while former Binfield man Liam Ferdinand was a threat at the other end but 3-1 was enough to seal a 31st game without defeat for Thatcham, who move into the semi-finals.

“It was not to be but no disgrace in losing to a fantastic side in Thatcham Town,” said Moles manager Herridge.

“We will be disappoint­ed with the goals we conceded but that aside, my players put an absolute shift in.

“There were a lot of good performanc­es in Binfield shirts.”

Binfield return to league action on Saturday with a trip to Brackley Town Saints before visiting Windsor on Tuesday evening.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom