Sweet Potato and Squash
It’s all about that base – specifically, this one. An ideal way of filling up on fibre and raising the vitamin game on your plate via root veg. Good fibes only
2 tbsp coconut oil
• 2 red onions, roughly chopped
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp ground coriander
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tbsp harissa paste
• 1 tbsp coconut sugar
• 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
• 3 medium purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• 340ml vegetable stock
• salt and pepper
• flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped For the crumble: 200g pecans, toasted
• 1 tsp salt
• 240g quinoa flakes
• 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
• 6 tbsp coconut oil
• zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium-low heat. Sweat the onions, then add the spices, garlic, harissa and coconut sugar. Cook for a few mins then stir in the squash, sweet potato and chopped tomatoes.
2. Pour in the stock and simmer for 30 mins until the veggies are almost done and the sauce is reduced. Season.
3. Chuck the pecans, salt, quinoa flakes and nutritional yeast into a blender and pulse until, erm, crumbly. Add the coconut oil and lemon zest, and pulse again to combine.
4. Tip the base into a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with parsley. Top with the crumble and bake for 25-30 mins (or an episode of Friends since we’re all in this for nostalgia) until golden and crisp.