CORNER OF YORKSHIRE:
Scargill House, Kettlewell
THIS much-loved Christian Conference Centre and retreat is situated outside Kettlewell in Upper Wharfedale. Part of the original building dates to the 18th century and in 1900 it became a shooting lodge for the Halifax mill owner, Clement Holdsworth. When business problems forced his family to sell the house and estate in 1957 it was bought by the Church of England, which commissioned a chapel designed by the York-based ecclesiastical architect, George Pace, who was also responsible for the King George VI Memorial Chapel at Windsor. The Scargill House chapel has since been given Grade II listed status and was built in the Scandinavian style to reflect the fact that the earliest farmers in the Yorkshire Dales were Vikings.
In 2008, Scargill House almost closed because of financial difficulties, but was sold the following year to the Scargill Movement for almost £1.3m, raised through donations and a short-term loan.