What can I do about my vari­cose veins?

YOURS (UK) - - Look After Yourself -

“If you think you have vari­cose veins, you should al­ways have them checked out by a pro­fes­sional who spe­cialises in ve­nous con­di­tions. This is be­cause they can have more se­ri­ous med­i­cal con­se­quences and should not just be con­sid­ered as an aes­thetic prob­lem,” says vas­cu­lar spe­cial­ist Pro­fes­sor Mark White­ley (www.the­white­l­ey­clinic.co.uk). “Vari­cose veins oc­cur when valves in our leg veins stop work­ing prop­erly, al­low­ing the blood to flow down the veins the wrong way. In their sim­plest form, vari­cose veins can be iden­ti­fied as the bulging veins which pro­trude from your legs.

“Speak to your GP who can as­sess you and re­fer you for treat­ment. To­day, there are a num­ber of cut­ting-edge tech­niques avail­able for treat­ing vari­cose veins both quickly and ef­fec­tively – we have come a long way since the out­dated tech­nique of strip­ping, so ask your doc­tor to re­fer you to a spe­cial­ist for ad­vice.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.