THIS JUST IN
• ROB MACCACHREN GRABBED First Overall and the Trophy Truck class win at the 32nd annual SCORE San Felipe 250 desert race. This marks MacCachren’s sixth victory in the race and his 16th career win in the TT class. His MacCachren Motorsports F-150 navigated the technical, 319-mile course in five hours 20 minutes 17 seconds, for an average speed of 59.76 mph.
• FORD’S NEW RANGER ISN’T here yet, but it is already having an impact on the truck market. According to a report by Jumpstart Automotive Media, the new midsize truck is commanding a nearly 32 percent share of shopper interest, driving down interest in other trucks in the segment by as much as double digits. That same study noted that interest in the 2019 Ram pickup has jumped by 73 percent.
• SPEAKING OF THE RANGER, Autoweek spotted a Wildtrack version undergoing testing in Michigan, “hopefully a sign that the rugged pickup will
eventually be sold here,” said the magazine. Available in other parts of the world, the Wildtrack is a version of the Ranger that’s upfitted with bigger tires and wheels, more ground clearance, and a bedliner. Foreign versions are powered by a 3.2L diesel; AW expects a U.S. version to have a small-displacement gas engine, possibly the 2.7L EcoBoost V-6.
• SEMA REPORTS THAT OFFroad retailer 4 Wheel Parts presented a donation of $16,873 to the Off Road Business Association (ORBA) at an ORBA board meeting during Easter Jeep Safari week in Moab, Utah. The donation came as part of the 4 Wheel Parts “Round-Up” fundraising initiative, where 4 Wheel Parts customers were encouraged to “round-up” to the next dollar at checkout with proceeds benefiting ORBA.
• TEXTRON, MAKERS OF THE Wildcat XX side-by-side, is running a contest. The grand prize consists of a trip to the Baja 1000, a two-day adventure in one of Textron’s new UTVs, and the opportunity to meet Robby Gordon. Entries will be accepted until August 31, 2018. Log on to textronoffroad.txtsv.com/campaigns/ride-over-everythinggiveaway for more info.