The Biggest News Stories Of 2018!
In just a few days, a new year will begin, and with it, a host of new dramas, both on screen and off, for GENERAL HOSPITAL. So before the cycle begins anew, let’s look back once more at the shocking plot points, surprising recasts and stunning scandals that made 2018 so memorable.
10. Maybe we shouldn’t have been shocked — GH has, after all, previously featured everything from aliens to a wannabe vampire. But we still couldn’t believe it when we discovered that, for all these years, Maxie apparently had been secret pals with KFC MVP Colonel Sanders, as played by George Hamilton on National Fried Chicken Day. It’s a thing. Seriously.
9. After the Daytime Emmys handed out an award to Patrika Darbo (Shirley, THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL), then gave it to Jennifer Bassey (ex-Quinn, GH), then declared that it wasn’t hers, either, GH joined the other soaps in threatening to boycott the ceremony in 2019 unless the National Academy Of Television Arts & Sciences made some major changes to its rules. (They did.)
8. GH’s cast of former THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS actors continued to grow with the hiring of Elizabeth Hendrickson — previously Y&R’s Chloe — as new D.A. Margaux. “There are definitely a lot of familiar faces” around GH, laughed the soap-hopping Emmy nominee.
7. Chloe Lanier’s departure from GH brought to an end Nelle’s reign of terror. Kidding! Even though the actress is no longer a regular, she’s already reappeared so that her conniving character could wreak more havoc. And the baby-swap that Nelle pulled off before being sent up the river promises to break our hearts right along with Lucas’!
6. Fans flipped when GH gave Anna a surprise son with longtime nemesis Faison. But the storyline not only brought back Anders Hove to the canvas, it added to the cast soap vet Wes Ramsey as Peter and gave Anna’s portrayer some especially juicy material. While some longtime fans shook their heads at the revision of Anna’s history, portrayer Finola Hughes insisted that “I don’t know that it is a rewriting, actually, because we never dealt with it before.”
5. Before GH’s Jordan made it to the altar for her and Curtis’ wedding, Vinessa Antoine said “I do” to primetime, accepting the lead role on Canadian drama DIGGSTOWN and forcing the soap to recast the role of the PCPD commissioner with Briana Nicole Henry. “I believe that I have taken [Jordan] as far as I can,” tweeted Antoine, adding that she and GH had “decided to mutually part ways.”
4. The #GHToo storyline, centered around Dr. Bensch’s sexual harassment of Kiki, garnered the show a good deal of mainstream attention — and even a mention in The Wall Street Journal. “These hot-button issues and social-justice stories we do are really important, ”Hayley Erin (ex-Kiki) explained. “They’re informative and it’s a lot more powerful to show the real-world consequences. That’s why it’s such an honor I’ve been chosen to represent women in this storyline. No pressure or anything!”
3. Ryan Paevey’s exit gave GH the chance to do something that it almost never seems to — really kill off a character. And it was the feeling of finality to Nathan’s demise that afforded leading lady Kirsten Storms (Maxie) what she considers to be a highlight of her career. “That is going to go down as one of my favorite storylines,” she confessed, “and I can’t thank the writers enough for making me feel like such an actor. I’d spent a lot of [last] year wondering who I am and experiencing heavy things that left me a little confused about my purpose. Being able to dive right into that story was huge for me.”
2. As raves continued to pour in for GH’s Alzheimer’s storyline, the show was given the Sentinel Award, which recognizes TV programs that spotlight important health topics and social issues. “Our goal,” explained executive producer Frank Valentini in his acceptance speech, “was to portray the struggle as accurately as possible — to educate our audience without lecturing them — so that those who know Alzheimer’s all too well would recognize themselves — and those who have not yet encountered it would learn something of value.”
1. Not only did GH bring back Genie Francis, it dropped her right onto the frontburner, putting Laura through the wringer as she wondered why husband Kevin no longer seemed interested in her. What’s more, the iconic character was quickly crossed over into umpteen other stories. “They’re moving me around to all the people Laura knows — which is great,” raved the Emmy winner. “She lived there all her life, so she’s got deep, long ties.”
Darbo will always be a winner in our book!
No gab session is complete for Maxieand Lulu without theColonel and his crispy chicken!
Before Margaux met Drew, Hendrickson and Billy Miller played Y&R pair Chloe and Billy.
“Don’t even think about touching my baby, Blanket!”
Peter declined being in Anna’s family holiday card photo. Shocker.
Dr. Bensch even gave us the creeps!
Antoine passed Jordan’s badge on to Henry.
We are still crying over the fact that Detective Sexypants is gone!
Mike’s disease has affected Sonny and Carly aswell.
Laura’s involved in almost every storyline on the show these days!