Cool Crisp Salads
Beat the midsummer heat with one of these fresh and easy cold salads. They’re perfect for picnics!
Thornehedge Peach Slaw
armagazine.com/thornehedge-slaw ½ cup pecan halves
5 fresh peaches
4 cups very thinly sliced
savoy and/or napa cabbage 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves ¼ cup chopped green onion 1 teaspoon celery seeds
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup honey
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Toast pecans in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Slice 4 of the peaches, with skins, and toss together with cabbage, bell pepper, pecans, mint, green onion, and celery seeds in a large bowl. Chill, covered, 45 minutes.
3. Peel and coarsely chop remaining peach, then purée with lemon juice, honey, oil, salt, and black pepper in a blender or food processor. Add to slaw mixture and toss to coat.
Chill, covered, up to 1 hour. Toss slaw again before serving. Sprinkle with additional black pepper, if desired. PER 1-CUP SERVING: 192 CAL; 11.7g FAT (1.2g SAT); 2.6g PRO; 22.9g CARB;
3.8g FIBER; 158mg SODIUM; 18.6g SUGARS
Grilled Corn Salad
6 ears fresh corn, husks removed 1½ cups chopped tomatoes
(about 3 tomatoes)
1 cup diced green bell pepper
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup diced red onion 1 tablespoon canola oil
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
Lime wedges (optional)
1. Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium heat (325°F to 375°F); lightly oil grate or pan. Grill corn, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred, about 10 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
2. Hold corn cobs vertically on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off kernels and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro, onion, oil, salt, and black pepper; toss together. Chill, covered, at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with lime wedges (if using). PER ¾-CUP SERVING: 88 CAL; 2.7g FAT
(0.4g SAT); 2.8g PRO; 16.2g CARB; 2.4g FIBER; 159mg SODIUM; 5.9g SUGARS
“I used regular cabbage and green bell peppers, and went without
the onion and celery seeds. The salad dressing is what really makes
this dish great!”
56 REVIEWShands-on 20 min total 2 hr, 20 min serves 8 submitted by: ambert77
9 REVIEWShands-on 25 min total 2 hr, 5 min serves 8 submitted by: i m kelly