Rainbow Potato Pancakes with Harissa and Eggs
HANDS-ON 15 MIN TOTAL 45 MIN SERVES 4 SUBMITTED BY BETTY SOUP NEW RECIPE GO ONLINE TO RATE & REVIEW To make these colorful cakes, use small purple Peruvian fingerlings or purple sweet potatoes. Their vivid hue comes from anthocyanin, an antioxidant-ri
1 cup vegetable oil for frying,
or more as needed
1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and
shredded (3 cups)
6 Tbsp. shredded yellow or
1 lb. shredded purple potatoes or
purple sweet potatoes (4 cups) 4 eggs
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. potato starch 2 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
4 poached eggs
½ cup microgreens
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup harissa
1. Preheat oil in a 10-inch skillet to
350°F. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put shredded russet potatoes and 3 Tbsp. onion on a clean kitchen towel; squeeze out as much moisture as possible, then transfer to a bowl. Put shredded purple potatoes and remaining 3 Tbsp. onion in same towel; squeeze out as much moisture as possible, then transfer to a separate bowl.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, potato starch, salt, and pepper until smooth. Transfer half of egg mixture to another large bowl; stir in balsamic vinegar, and fold in purple potato mixture. Fold russet potato mixture into remaining egg mixture.
4. Put four 3-Tbsp. portions batter at a time into hot oil and flatten with a spatula. Fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer pancakes to prepared baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. [You should have 16 pancakes total; 8 per potato batter.]
5. Top pancakes with poached eggs and microgreens. Serve with sour cream and harissa. armagazine.com/rainbow-potatopancakes-with-harissa
HEALTHY VEGETARIAN GLUTEN-FREE PER SERVING (4 PANCAKES AND 1 EGG): 643 CAL; 29G FAT (6G SAT); 19G PRO; 75G CARB (5G FIBER, 4G SUGARS); 943MG SODIUM