MUSHROOM-THYME WHITE PIZZA
HANDS-ON 20 MIN TOTAL 40 MIN SERVES 4 SUBMITTED BY JOHN SOMERALL NEW RECIPE GO ONLINE TO RATE & REVIEW Roasting brings out the best in maitake mushrooms: Their petal-like edges go slightly crispy while the meatier center softens and deepens in flavor. When you pile them high on pizza, even carnivores won’t miss the meat.
1 lb. fresh pizza dough Cornmeal or flour, for dusting
4 Tbsp. olive oil
½ lb. cremini mushrooms,
½ lb. maitake mushrooms, broken into small clusters
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, plus
more for garnish
½ tsp. kosher salt
¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
5 oz. fresh baby spinach
1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
½ cup finely grated PecorinoRomano cheese
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
Shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese, for garnish
1. Put a pizza stone or baking sheet on middle oven rack and preheat oven to 450°F. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a 14-inch circle. Transfer to a piece of parchment paper or a cookie sheet lightly dusted with cornmeal or flour. Cover with a kitchen towel; let stand at room temperature until ready to use.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cremini and maitake mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in oregano, thyme, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
(Do not wipe skillet clean.)
3. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet. Add spinach and ¼ tsp. pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
4. Stir together ricotta, Pecorino-Romano, garlic, and remaining ¼ tsp. each salt and pepper in a bowl until well combined. Brush dough with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil.
Spread ricotta mixture in an even layer over dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over ricotta mixture. Top with cooked mushrooms and spinach.
5. Carefully transfer pizza on parchment to hot pizza stone or baking sheet in oven. Bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is deeply golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer pizza and parchment to a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Remove parchment. Garnish with additional thyme, a few grinds of pepper, and shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese. armagazine.com/mushroom-thymewhite-pizza
HIDDEN GEM VEGETARIAN PER 2 SLICES: 637 CAL; 29G FAT (9G SAT); 26G PRO; 64G CARB (3G FIBER, 3G SUGARS); 1,138MG SODIUM