American Farmhouse Style
DIY Textured WALL ART
Before you go shopping for your next art piece, try creating your own. Here are Kaycie’s instructions for making a modern textured art piece for your farmhouse.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
• White canvas 24” x 48”
• Joint knife
• Joint compound (Kaycie used All Purpose by USG Sheetrock)
• Chalk paint in black (Kaycie used Rust-oleum Chalked in Charcoal) • Paint brush
• Chalk paint in white (Kaycie used Rust-oleum Chalked in Linen White) • 2 premium pine boards 1” x 2” x 8’ • Foam roller
• Construction adhesive
• Nail gun or hammer and nails
• Saw (optional)
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Using the joint knife, spread joint compound onto the canvas in horizontal lines that vary the thickness. The messier the look, the better. Allow it to dry.
2. Paint the whole canvas black, using a dabbing motion around the texture edges with a sponge. Allow it to dry.
3. Using a tiny amount of paint, dry brush over the raised areas with the white paint. Before you allow it to dry, wipe it with a damp sponge to give it a smooth look. Allow it to dry.
4. To make a frame, cut the pine boards to size and paint them black using a foam roller. Kaycie suggests black paint with a satin finish to contrast the matte finish of the art.
5. Once dry, use construction adhesive to adhere the wood pieces to the edges of the canvas. Reinforce it with nails. Complete the look by adding a gallery light over the hanging art piece.