Holiday Florals Table Runner
Runner Size: 56" x 14"
• Batting to size
• Scraps gold and red batiks
• 1 fat quarter light rose batik
• 1 fat quarter dark rose batik
• 3/4 yard light green batik
• 13/4 yards light multishade batik
• 3/4 yard 17"-wide fusible web
• Template material (optional)
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Cut and prepare pieces for fusible appliqué as directed on each pattern given in the pattern insert and referring to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124.
From light green batik:
• Cut 4 (21/4" by fabric width) binding
strips. • Cut 2 (13/ 8" x 20") bias strips.
From light multishade batik:
• Cut 2 (141/2" x 561/2") backing and background rectangles.
Completing the Appliqué
Refer to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124 for appliqué steps.
1. Fold a bias strip in half with wrong sides together along length; do not press.
2. Sew a scant 1/4" seam along the long raw edges; trim seam to 1/8". Press seam open with seam along the center of the strip as shown in Figure 1.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the second bias strip.
4. Arrange, pin and baste one bias strip in a gentle curve starting 9" in from one short end and 73/4" down from the top long side of the background rectangle, and ending close to the center about 31/4" down from the top edge as shown in Figure 2.
5. Repeat with the second bias strip on the opposite end.
6. Machine blanket-stitch along the long sides of each bias strip using matching thread.
7. Arrange and fuse five dark rose petals in a circle overlapping the end of one bias strip referring to Figure 3.
8. Arrange and fuse five light rose petals on the fused flower motif, placing these petals in the spaces between the dark petals as shown in Figure 4.
9. Fuse a flower center in the center of the flower motif.
10. Machine blanket-stitch around petals and flower center using matching thread.
11. Repeat steps 7–10 to complete a flower motif at the opposite end and in the center, covering the ends of the bias strips referring to the Placement Diagram.
12. Referring to the Placement Diagram and project photo, arrange and fuse the holly leaves and berries along the vine. Machine-stitch in place as in step 10.
13. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 120.
14. Quilt as desired.
15. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 120 to finish. •
Holiday Florals Table Runner Quilting Diagram
Holiday Florals Table Runner Placement Diagram 56" x 14"
4" 1/ 8" 1/ Figure 1
31/ 4" 4" 73/ 9" Figure 2