Yo-yo Tree Ornament
Finished Size Ornament Size: 3" x 4", excluding hanger Materials
• Batting scraps
• No. 8 pearl cotton
• Fabric glue
• Template material
• 6 coordinating scraps
• Wooden spool: small vintage spool
with thread or new empty spool
• 4( 3/8"–1/2") round flat buttons
• ¾" white star button
• No. 5 pearl cotton to wrap spool
• Long large- eye needle
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare a template for each size circle using patterns given in the insert. Cut as directed on patterns.
Completing the Yo-yos
1. Pair each fabric circle with a batting circle half the size of the fabric circle; for example, a 6" fabric circle with a 3" batting circle.
2. Center the batting circle on the wrong side of the fabric circle; with pin on the right side of the fabric, pin to secure.
3. Thread a needle with a doubled length of thread and knot the end.
4. Finger-press a 1⁄8" hem to the inside of the fabric as you sew ¼" gathering stitches all around the edge of the circle, close to fold as shown in Figure 1.
5. Pull the thread to gather the edge into a tight circle, moving the hole to the center with your fingers as you pull as shown in Figure 2. Note: The batting will fit inside the circle and give more body to the yo-yo.
6. Repeat steps 2–5 to complete one yo-yo in each size.
Completing the Ornaments
1. Apply small dots of glue to the back of each round button, placing glue on the outer edges and not in the center.
2. Press a button to the top center of each of the four largest yo-yos as shown in Figure 3. Note: Buttons serve as spacers between the layers.
3. To assemble the tree, thread a long large- eye needle with an 18" length of No. 8 pearl cotton and knot one end— do not double the thread.
4. Coming up from the center back of the largest yo-yo, go through the button and into the center back of the next largest yo-yo. Go through that button and repeat with the four remaining yo-yos in descending sizes. Note: There is no button between the top two yo-yos.
5. Bring the needle up through the hole in the center of the smallest top yo-yo and up through the holes in the star button from the back to the front and then to the back again.
6. Leaving a 2" loop for a hanger, take the needle back through the star button and through all the yo-yo layers to the bottom again. Pull the stack together with the star touching the treetop and knot the thread at the bottom as shown in Figure 4.
7. If using a new empty spool, apply a thin layer of glue to the center and wrap No. 5 pearl cotton in rows all around to cover.
8. Glue the spool to the center of the largest bottom yo-yo to finish. •
Yo-yo Tree Ornament Placement Diagram 3" x 4", excluding hanger