Juggling Snowmen Table Topper
Finished Size Topper Size: Approximately 27" x 27" Block Size: 91/2" x 91/2" finished Number of Blocks: 4
• 1/ 3 yard white tonal
• 3/8 yard gray dot
• 1/2 yard aqua dot
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Template material
• Scraps aqua check, orange dot,
pink dot and brown tonal
• 1 fat quarter green dot
• 10" x 13" batting rectangle
• 4( 7/8") cover button kits
• 3/4 yard lightweight fusible
• 5/8 yard 17"-wide fusible web
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare template for the holly leaf shape using pattern given in the insert. Apply lightweight fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the white tonal. Prepare snowman motif, large circle and snow mound pieces for fusible appliqué referring to RawEdge Fusible Appliqué on page 124.
From green dot:
• Cut 1 (13" x 20") strip. Subcut strip into 2 (10" x 13") rectangles for holly leaves.
From gray dot:
• Cut 1 (10" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 4 (10") A squares.
From aqua dot:
• Cut 1 (61/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 2 (61/2") squares. Cut each square in half on 1 diagonal to make 4 B triangles. Subcut remainder of strip into 1 (21/4" by remaining fabric width) binding strip. • Cut 2 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
Completing the Blocks
Refer to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124 for all appliqué steps.
1. Fold and crease each A square to mark the diagonal centers.
2. Center and fuse one snow mound to the corner of one A square. Arrange and fuse one snowman motif on the diagonal of A with bottom of snowman just touching the snow mound.
3. Center and fuse one snowball about 3/4" above the nose and two snowballs on each side about 1" apart.
4. Transfer mouth shape to snowman face as marked on pattern.
5. Using thread to match fabrics and a narrow machine blanket stitch, sew all around each fused shape.
6. Using black thread and a straight stitch, machine-stitch marked mouth
shape to complete one Juggling Snowman block.
7. Repeat steps 2– 6 to make a total of four Juggling Snowman blocks.
Completing the Topper
1. Join two Juggling Snowman blocks as shown in Figure 1 to make a row; press. Repeat to make a second row.
2. Join the rows to complete the topper center; press.
3. Center and fuse the large circle in the center of the topper center. Stitch as in step 5 of Completing the Blocks.
4. Crease each B triangle to mark the centers as shown in Figure 2.
5. Pin a B triangle right sides together on each outer edge of the pieced top, matching the creased centers with the seams on the topper center as shown in Figure 3.
6. Stitch B pieces in place; press to the right side to complete the top.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 120.
8. Quilt as desired. Trim edges of batting and backing even with the top.
9. Stay-stitch 1/8" from the edge of each B inside corner as shown in Figure 4. 10. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 120. Figure 2
Adding the Holly Leaves
1. Using the prepared holly leaf template, trace eight leaf shapes onto the wrong side of one green dot rectangle leaving 3/8" between shapes and 1/4" from outside edge as shown in Figure 5. Place right sides together with the second rectangle; pin to the batting rectangle and sew all around on the traced lines, again referring to Figure 5.
2. Cut out each leaf 1/8" from the seam, trim tips and batting close to seams. Cut a slit in one layer only; turn right side out through the slit; press edges flat. Whipstitch (see page 125) edges of slit together as shown in Figure 6.
3. Transfer vein lines to leaf shapes and stitch along marked lines to complete leaves.
4. Select two leaf shapes. Arrange and pin shapes on a B triangle with inside points at the seam line between B and the blocks and outer tips extending beyond the edges of B as shown in Figure 7.
5. Machine-stitch in place by stitching about halfway up the previously stitched center vein line.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with remaining leaf shapes on the remaining B triangles.
7. Prepare four pink dot cover buttons using the 7/8" cover button kits.
8. Sew a covered button to the tips of each of the holly leaf clusters as shown in the project photo to finish.
Juggling Snowman 91/ 2" x 91/ 2" Finished Block Make 4
Make 2 Figure 1
Figure 4 1/ 8"
Juggling Snowmen Table Topper Placement Diagram Approximately 27" x 27"
Juggling Snowmen Table Topper Quilting Diagram
4" 1/ 8" 3/ Figure 5