Preppy Penguin Ornament
31/2 inches tall excluding hair tuft and hanging loop x 31/2 inches in diameter
• Red Heart Super Saver medium (worsted) weight acrylic yarn (7 oz/364 yds/198g per skein): 1 skein each #341 light grey, #311 white, #512 turqua, #321 gold and #312 black • Sizes D/3/3.25mm and F/5/3.75mm
crochet hooks • Tapestry needle • Polyester fiberfill • Stitch markers
Gauge is not important.
To make sewing easier, divide a 1-yard length of desired color yarn into 4 plies and use 2 plies to sew beak, wings, chest and scarf onto ornament. Weave in loose ends as work progresses. Do not join rounds unless otherwise noted. Join with slip stitch as indicated unless otherwise stated. Place stitch marker in first stitch of round.
Rnd 1: With light grey and size F hook, ch 2, 8 sc in 2nd ch from hook, do not join; place marker (see Pattern Notes). (8 sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (16 sc)
Rnd 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] around. (24 sc)
Rnd 4: [2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 2 sts] around. (32 sc)
Rnd 5: Sc in each st around.
Rnd 6: Rep rnd 5.
Rnd 7: [2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 3 sts] around. (40 sc)
Rnds 8–12: Rep rnd 5.
Rnd 13: [ Sc dec (see Stitch Guide) in next 2 sts, sc in each of next 3 sts] around. (32 sc)
Rnds 14 & 15: Rep rnd 5.
Rnd 16: [Sc dec in next 2 sts, sc in each of next 2 sts] around. (24 sc)
Rnd 17: [Sc dec in next 2 sts, sc in next st] around. (16 sc)
[Sc dec in next 2 sts] 8 times. Fasten off, leaving a long tail. (8 sc)
Chest Rnd 1:
With size F hook and white, ch 12, working in back bar of ch (see illustration on page 130), sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in each of next 7 chs, sc in each of next 2 chs, working under both lps on opposite side of foundation ch, sc in same ch as last st made, sc in next ch, hdc in each of next 7 chs, sc in next ch, sc in same ch as first sc of rnd. (22 sts)
*[2 sc in next st] twice, hdc in each of next 2 sts, dc in each of next 5 sts, hdc in each of next 2 sts, rep from * once, join (see Pattern Notes) to first sc of rnd. (26 sts) Fasten off.
With size D hook and gold, ch 6, working in back lps (see Stitch Guide) only of chs, sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch, hdc in next ch, sc in last ch. Fasten off, leaving a sewing length. (5 sts)
Row 1 (WS): With size F hook and light grey, ch 9, tr in back bar of 4th ch (sk 3 chs count as 1 tr), tr in next ch, dc in each of next 2 chs, hdc in next ch, sc in next ch, sl st in last ch. Fasten off. (8 sts including sl st)
Row 1: With size F hook and turqua, ch 64, working in back bar of ch, dc in 4th ch from hook (sk 3 chs counts as a dc) and in each rem ch across. (60 dc) Fasten off.
1. Stuff body firmly with polyester fiberfill. Thread yarn tail through tapestry needle and run through tops of all 8 sts, gather tightly and sew bottom closed.
2. Using tapestry needle and
2 strands of divided gold yarn
(see Pattern Notes), with WS of beak facing, sew beak where desired on body.
3. With black, make 1 French knot (see illustration on page 125) on either side of beak for eyes.
4. Wrap 1 strand of light grey 3 times around 2 fingers. Remove from fingers and tightly knot center of wraps with an 8-inch length of light grey to form hair tuft. Thread 1 tie end through needle and insert through sts at center top of head. Knot with 2nd tie end to secure. Bring ends tog and knot to form hanging lp. Trim hair tuft as desired.
5. Place chest below beak and use 2 strands of divided white yarn to sew in place.
6. Place wings WS up on either side of chest and use 2 strands of divided light grey yarn to sew in place.
Weave in ends. •
7. Wrap scarf around head just under beak and over tops of wings. Pull last dc sts on 1 end of scarf between 11th and 12th dc on opposite end of scarf to join. Use 2 strands of divided turqua yarn to tack join and other random areas of scarf to body.