Reindeer Playday Bench Pillow
Finished Size Pillow Size: 20" x 12" Materials
• Scrap tan dot
• 1 fat quarter red/black check
• 1/ 8 yard white tonal
• 2/ 3 yard black tonal
• 121/2" x 201/2" batting rectangle
• 12" x 20" pillow form
• 9( 3/ 16"- diameter) black shank
• 1/2 yard 17"-wide fusible web
• Template material (optional)
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare pieces for appliqué using the full-size reindeer motif given in the insert and referring to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124.
From white tonal:
• Cut 1 (31/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 1 (31/2" x 201/2") B strip.
From black tonal:
• Cut 1 (201/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 1 (91/2" x 201/2") A rectangle and 2 (121/2" x 15") backing rectangles.
Completing the Pillow
Refer to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124 for appliqué steps.
1. Sew B to A on the long edges to complete the pillow front background; press.
2. Baste the batting rectangle to the wrong side of the pillow front background.
3. Arrange and fuse three reindeer motifs onto the pillow front background in numerical order for each motif, referring to the Placement Diagram for positioning suggestions. Note: Make each deer motif a bit different by moving pieces around a little before fusing.
4. Using thread to match fabrics and a narrow machine blanket stitch, stitch all around each fused shape to secure.
5. Sew three black buttons to deer faces for eyes and noses referring to pattern for placement.
6. Press and sew a doubled 1/4" hem on one 121/2" side of each backing rectangle as shown in Figure 1.
7. Pin the hemmed pillow backing rectangles right sides together with the appliquéd pillow front, overlapping the hemmed edges as
shown in Figure 2; pin or baste to hold.
8. Sew all around outer edges. Clip corners and turn the stitched pillow cover right side out. Poke out the corners; press edges flat.
9. Insert pillow form through the back opening to finish. •
20. Glue the white fake fur or plush felt to the bottom of the hat, starting in the center back.
21. Place the hat on Santa's head. Apply a few dots of glue under the bottom edge and press to secure.
22. Sew the large black button to the front of Santa centered at the seam between the shirt and pants, pulling thread tight to indent.
23. Sew the small black buttons to the face for eyes. Sew the pink bead to the face just above the mustache for a nose. Glue the pompom to the tip of the hat.
24. Make a small stitch in the top back of the hat with the red cord or pearl cotton; tie ends in a knot to make the hanger to finish. •
Reindeer Playday Bench Pillow Placement Diagram 20" x 12"