Farmer Santa Ornament
Finished Size Ornament Size: 31/4" x 71/2"
• Scrap red flannel
• 1 (5mm) pink bead
Materials listed make 1 ornament.
• Scraps black solid and white tonal
• 2" x 9" strip pink solid
• 21/2" x 9" strip red-and-black
• 3" x 9" strip blue denim
• 3/8" x 5" strip white fake fur or
• Scraps low-loft batting
• Small amount of fiberfill
• 8" red thin twisted cord or size 3
• 1 (7mm) white pompom
1( 5/8"- diameter) black
2( 3/ 16"- diameter) black
• Fabric glue
• Template material
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare templates using patterns given in the insert.
Completing the Ornament
1. Sew the three fabric strips together on the 9" sides with the pink solid at the top, the red-andblack checked flannel in the center and the blue denim on the bottom. Cut the strip set in half across seams; press seams on one half in one direction and in the opposite direction on the other half.
2. Transfer horizontal placement lines from the body pattern to the prepared template.
3. Trace around the body shape on the wrong side of one of the strip sets cut in step 1, matching horizontal lines on the template with
the seam lines on the strip set as shown in Figure 1.
4. Place the marked strip set right sides together with the second strip set, matching seams; pin to a batting scrap. Stitch on the traced lines, leaving a 2" opening in the center of the bottom edge as shown in Figure 2.
5. Cut out body shape 1/8" from the seam; clip curves. Turn right side out through the opening; press edges flat and smooth.
6. Insert fiberfill through bottom opening to lightly stuff the stitched body.
7. Trace the boots shape onto the wrong side of the black solid. Fold the fabric in half with right sides together and traced shape on top; pin to a batting scrap. Sew all around traced lines, leaving the top edge open. Cut out 1/8" from the seam; clip curves. Turn right side out.
8. Press edges flat and smooth. Stitch down the center with black thread as shown in Figure 3.
9. Fold in the seam allowance on the body opening and insert the top of the boots 1/4" inside; pin to hold. Stitch the opening closed by sewing small stitches back and forth from front to back, catching the folded edges of the opening and sewing through the boots as shown in Figure 4.
10. Sew a 11/8"-long line down the center of the pants as marked on pattern with matching thread to make legs as shown in Figure 5.
11. Trace the beard and mustache shapes on the wrong side of the white tonal. Fold the fabric in half with right sides together and traced shapes on top; pin to a scrap of batting.
12. Sew all around on the traced lines. Cut out 1/8" from the seam; clip curves.
13. Make a slit through one fabric layer only on each shape. Turn shapes right side out through the opening. Press edges flat and smooth.
14. Whipstitch (see page 125) the opening edges together as shown in Figure 6.
15. Apply small dots of fabric glue to the wrong side of the beard at the top and down the center, but leave the edges free. Press the beard to the front of Santa.
16. Using doubled, knotted thread, make two gathering stitches up the center of the mustache; pull thread to gather tightly and wrap the thread around the center as shown in Figure 7.
17. Knot the thread in the back and use the same thread to tack the mustache to the face above the beard.
18. Repeat steps 11 and 12 with the hat pattern and red flannel (without batting) except leave the bottom edge open.
19. Turn right side out and insert a small amount of fiberfill into the hat.
Farmer Santa Ornament Placement Diagram 31/ x 71/ 4" 2"