Flying Santa Wall Hanging
Finished Size Wall Hanging Size: 24" x 18"
• 52 (21/2") C squares assorted red,
green, gold and white Christmas
prints, tonals and dots
• Scraps black and white tonals and
• 1 fat quarter light yellow tonal
• 1 fat quarter red-with- green dots
• 1 fat quarter white tonal
• 1 fat quarter green Christmas print
• 1/ 3 yard red print
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Batting scrap
• Scrap lightweight fusible
• 1/2 yard 17"-wide fusible web
2( 3/ 16"- diameter) black shank
5( 3/ 16"- diameter) white flat
• 1 (5mm) pink pearl bead
• Template material
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Apply lightweight fusible stabilizer to the wrong side of the white tonal scrap. Prepare templates for mustache and beard shapes using patterns given in the insert. Prepare appliqué pieces for fusible appliqué using the Santa motif and star patterns given in the insert and referring to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124.
From green Christmas print:
• Cut 1 (101/2" x 20") strip. Subcut strip into 1 (101/2" x 161/2")
A rectangle. • Cut 1 (41/2" x 20") strip. Subcut strip into 4 (41/2")
From red print:
• Cut 3 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
Completing the Center Appliqué
Refer to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 124 for appliqué steps.
1. Fold the A rectangle in half horizontally and vertically and crease to mark the center.
2. Select the prepared Santa motif pieces. Center and fuse pieces on A in numerical order referring to the center mark on the full-size motif and center creases on A.
3. Machine blanket-stitch around each fused piece using thread to match fabrics. Note: It is not necessary to stitch the face piece as all its edges are covered by other pieces.
4. Arrange and join two C squares to make a C unit; press. Repeat to make a total of 26 C units.
5. Arrange and join five C units to make an end strip as shown in Figure 1; press. Repeat to make a second end strip.
6. Sew an end strip to opposite short ends of A referring to Figure 2; press.
7. Repeat step 5 with eight C units and add a B square to each end to make the top strip as shown in Figure 3; press. Repeat to make the bottom strip.
8. Sew the top and bottom strips to the appliquéd center; press.
9. Arrange, fuse and stitch a star shape on each B square and one star about 11/2" below the center of the mitten with star tip centered under the mitten.
10. Machine-stitch a hanging loop from the mitten to the top of the star with black thread.
Completing the Wall Hanging
1. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 120.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 120.
4. Using the prepared mustache and beard templates, trace shapes onto
the wrong side of the white tonal fat quarter. Fold the fabric in half with right sides together; pin to the batting scrap and sew all around on the traced lines as shown in Figure 4.
5. Cut out each shape 1/8" from the seam, trim tips and batting close to seams. Cut a slash in one layer only of each shape; turn right side out through the slash; press edges flat.
Whipstitch (see page 125) edges of slash together as shown in Figure 5.
6. Pin the beard in place on the Santa shape and sew the five white buttons to the beard, stitching through to the back of the wall hanging to attach the beard.
7. Using double, knotted thread, make two gathering stitches up the center of the mustache; pull thread to gather tightly and wrap the thread around the gathered center. Knot in the back and use the same thread to tack the mustache to the face above the beard.
8. Sew the two black buttons to the face for eyes. Sew the pink bead just above the mustache for a nose to finish. •
Top/bottom Strip Make 2Figure 3
End Strip Make 2 Figure 1