Star Candle Mat
Finished Size Mat Size: 15" x 141/2" Materials
• 1 fat quarter cream/gold print
• 5/8 yard cream tonal
• 16" square batting
• Template material
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare template for A using pattern given in the insert; cut as directed.
From cream tonal:
• Cut 1 (16" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 2 (16") B squares.
Completing the Candle Mat
1. Fold each of the A pieces in half along length with right sides together and stitch along the short edge as shown in Figure 1.
2. Snip off the angled tip, making sure not to clip into the seam as shown in Figure 2.
3. Press seam open as shown in Figure 3. Turn right side out and press with seam centered, again referring to Figure 3.
4. Using a water-soluble marker, mark each stitched A star point at the 1/4" seam intersection with a dot as indicated on the pattern and referring to Figure 4.
5. Place two stitched A pieces right sides together and, starting at the marked intersection, stitch toward the stitched and folded end, securing stitches at the beginning and end of seam as shown in Figure 5.
6. Add a third A piece to the stitched unit and repeat step 5. Continue this process until all five A pieces have been joined. Stitch the first unit to the last unit to complete the star unit as shown in Figure 6. Press seams in one direction.
7. Center the star unit on one B square and hand-stitch in place with invisible stitches.
8. Using a water-soluble marker, mark a line 11/4" from the star unit all around as shown in Figure 7.
9. Place the marked unit on the batting square and quilt as desired in the 11/4" section of B as shown in Figure 8.
10. Trim the quilted section along the marked line to make the star shape.
11. Pin the second B square right sides together with the quilted star shape; stitch all around from the star side, leaving a 2" opening on one side. Trim excess B close to the star shape; clip into the inner angles almost to the seam and trim off tips as shown in Figure 9.
12. Turn right side out through the opening; press edges flat.
13. Turn the seam allowance of the opening to the inside and handstitch closed. Topstitch 1/4" from edges all around to finish. •
Figure 7B 11/ 4"
AFigure 1 Figure 2
Figure 4 Figure 5
Star Candle Mat Placement Diagram 15" x 141/ 2"
Star Candle Mat Quilting Diagram