Make a table topper with coordinating scrap fabrics to match any room.
Here’s a Tip
A 60- degree equilateral triangle rotary ruler can be used to cut the A triangles and for trimming the angle on the B and C strips.
Skill Level: Confident Beginner Topper Size: Approximately 37" x 33" Block Size: Approximately 181/2" x 161/2" finished Number of Blocks: 6
• Assorted scraps light and dark blue batiks*
• 3/8 yard dark blue batik*
• 3/4 yard light blue batik*
• Backing to size
• Batting to size*
• Template material
• 60- degree equilateral triangle rotary ruler (optional)
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
*Batiks from Hoffman California- International Fabrics; 80/20 cotton/
wool batting from Hobbs used to make sample.
Prepare template for A using pattern given. Cut as directed on the pattern.
From dark blue batik:
• Cut 5 (2" by fabric width) B strips.
From light blue batik:
• Cut 5 (2" by fabric width) C strips.
• Cut 4 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
Completing the Blocks
1. To complete one Roku Triangles 1 block, select three light and six dark A triangles and two C strips.
2. Arrange the A triangles with the light triangles on the inside in one row of three dark and two light and one row of two dark and one light as shown in Figure 1.
3. Join the triangles in rows as arranged and add a dark triangle to the top to complete the pieced center as shown in Figure 2; press.
4. Place a C strip right sides together on one side of the pieced center, letting the strip extend 2" off the bottom as shown in Figure 3.
5. Stitch the strip to the pieced center; press.
6. Trim the ends of the C strip to match the angle of the pieced center using a straightedge as shown in Figure 4.
7. Continue to add and trim a C strip on each side of the pieced center to complete one Roku Triangles 1 block as shown in Figure 5. Set aside remaining C strip for another block.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to complete a total of three Roku Triangles 1 blocks.
9. Repeat steps 1–7 with three dark and six light A triangles and B strips to complete three Roku Triangles 2 blocks referring to the block drawing.
Completing the Topper
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for completing the topper.
1. Join one Roku Triangles 2 block with two Roku Triangles 1 blocks to make a block row; press.
2. Repeat step 1 with two Roku Triangles 2 blocks and one Roku Triangles 1 block to make a second row; press.
3. Join the rows to complete the pieced top; press.
4. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110.
5. Quilt as desired.
6. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish. l
n i a r G t h g i a tr S Roku Slices A Cut 27 each light & dark blue batik scraps