Fat Quarter Slide
Use a fat quarter collection to make this fast and easy quilt in a weekend. You won’t believe how quick it goes together!
Skill Level: Beginner Quilt Size: 711/2" x 861/2" Block Size: 15" x 15" finished Number of Blocks: 20
• 20 coordinating fat quarters*
• 1/2 yard black tonal*
• 13/ 8 yards coordinating cream print*
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
*Sweet Serenade fabric collection by Basicgrey for Moda used to make sample.
Cutting From each fat quarter:
• Referring to Figure 1 for layout, cut 1 (101/2") A square, 2 (51/2" x 101/2") B rectangles, 1 (51/2") C square and 1 (21/4" x 18") binding strip.
From black tonal:
• Cut 7 (11/2" by fabric width) D/E strips.
From coordinating cream print:
• Cut 8 (51/4" by fabric width) F/G strips.
Completing the Blocks
1. Select one each A and C squares and two B rectangles, all from different fabrics.
2. Sew A to B and B to C referring to Figure 2; press.
3. Sew the A-B unit to the B- C unit to complete one Slide block referring to the block drawing; press.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to complete a total of 20 different Slide blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Arrange and join four Slide blocks to make a row, turning blocks referring to the Assembly Diagram; press. Repeat to make a total of five rows.
2. Join the rows as stitched to complete the quilt center; press.
3. Join the D/E strips on the short ends to make a long strip; press. Subcut strip into two 11/2" x 601/2" D strips and two 11/2" x 771/2" E strips.
4. Sew D strips to the top and bottom and E strips to opposite long sides of the quilt center; press seams toward strips.
5. Join the F/G strips on the short ends to make a long strip; press. Subcut strip into two 51/4" x 621/2" F strips and two 51/4" x 87" G strips.
6. Sew F strips to the top and bottom, and G strips to opposite long sides of the quilt center to complete the quilt top; press seams toward F and G strips.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110.
8. Quilt as desired.
9. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish. l