Showcase your favorite fabric collection with this fast and easy strip-pieced modern quilt.
Quilt Size: 77" x 85"
5/8 yard each 7 coordinating prints 2/3 yard dark salmon solid 33/4 yards white solid Backing to size Batting to size Thread Basic sewing tools and supplies
Cutting From 7 coordinating prints:
• Cut 2 (61/2" by fabric width) strips each fabric to total 14. • Cut a total of 8 (21/4" by fabric width) strips for binding.
From dark salmon solid:
• Cut 8 (2" by fabric width) C/E strips.
From white solid:
• Cut 16 (21/2" by fabric width) A strips. Subcut 2 strips into 9 (21/2" x 61/2") A rectangles. • Cut 17 (21/2" by fabric width) B strips. • Cut 8 (41/2" by fabric width) D/F strips.
Completing the Block Strips
1. Sew a print strip to an A strip along length; press seam toward the print strip. Repeat with each print strip to make a total of 14 pieced strips.
2. Subcut each pieced strip into 61/2" x 81/2" block segments, as shown in Figure 1, to total 84 block segments. Note: You will have 12 extra segments.
Completing the Quilt
1. Select and join eight block segments and add an A rectangle to the right end of the strip to make a block row referring to the Assembly Diagram; press. Repeat to make a total of nine block rows.
2. Join the B strips on the short ends with diagonal seams, as shown in Figure 2, to make a long strip; trim joining seams to 1/4" and press. Subcut the strip into 10 (21/2" x 661/2") B strips. 3. Arrange and join the block rows with the B strips to complete the pieced center referring to the Assembly Diagram; press seams toward B.
4. Join the C/E strips on the short ends with diagonal seams to make a long strip. Repeat with the D/F strips.
5. Sew the C/E strip to the D/F strip along the length; press seam toward the C/E strip.
6. Subcut the pieced strip into two 6" x 741/2" C-D strips and two 6" x 771/2" E-F strips.
7. Sew the C-D strips to opposite long sides and E-F strips to the top and bottom of the quilt center to complete the quilt top; press seams toward strips.
8. Layer, quilt and bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 109.