Pick a background fabric and then start sorting through your scraps to make this gorgeous quilt.
Skill Level: Beginner Quilt Size: 561/2" x 561/2" Block Size: 8"x 8" finished Number of Blocks: 60
• Scraps assorted bright prints, tonals and solids • 31/4 yards teal solid • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Cutting From scraps:
• Cut 240 (21/2") A squares. • Cut 21/4" by various length strips to equal 240" when joined for binding.
From teal solid:
• Cut 12 (81/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 60 (21/2" x 81/2") B rectangles and 60 (41/2" x 81/2") C rectangles.
Completing the Blocks
1. To complete one Twisted block, select four A squares and one each B and C rectangle.
2. Join four A squares to make a pieced strip as shown in Figure 1; press. 3. Sew a B rectangle to one long side and a C rectangle to the opposite side of the pieced strip to complete the block referring to the block drawing; press seams open. 4. Repeat steps 1–3 to complete a total of 60 Twisted blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Arrange and join the blocks in diagonal rows referring to Figure 2; press.
2. Using a straightedge and rotary cutter, trim the edge blocks 1/4" from the seam intersection of adjacent blocks as shown in Figure 3 to complete the quilt top. 3. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 109.
4. Quilt as desired.
5. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 109 to finish.