Fish & Bubbles
Add circles in a variety of sizes to create the bubbles shown on the plain squares in this playful quilt.
Skill Level: Beginner Quilt Size: 431/2" x 551/2" Block Size: 12" x 12" finished and 6"x 6" finished Number of Blocks: 3, 18
• Scrap black solid • Assorted pale blue, blue and blue/green batik scraps for appliqué • Lavender, yellow, green and blue batik scraps for appliqué • Assorted blue and green batik scraps • 1/4 yard royal blue batik • 1 yard sea green batik • 11/4 yards blue batik • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • 11/2 yards 18"-wide fusible web • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Batik fabrics do not fray as much as some other cottons so they work very well for machine-appliqué motifs.
Prepare appliqué pieces for fusible appliqué as per instructions using patterns given and referring to RawEdge Fusible Appliqué on page 74.
From assorted blue and green batik scraps:
• Cut 72 (31/2") C squares.
From royal blue batik:
• Cut 2 (11/4" by fabric width) strips. Trim strips to make 2 (11/4" x 361/2") D strips. • Cut 3 (11/4" by fabric width) E strips.
From sea green batik:
• Cut 1 (121/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 3 (121/2") A squares. • Cut 3 (61/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strip into 18 (61/2") B squares.
From blue batik:
• Cut 2 (31/2" by fabric width) strips. Trim strips to make 2 (31/2" x 38") F strips. • Cut 3 (31/2" by fabric width) G strips. • Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
Completing the Appliquéd Blocks
1. Trace fish and circle shapes onto the paper side of the fusible web; cut out shapes, leaving a margin around each one.
2. Fuse shapes to the wrong side of fabrics as directed on each piece for color and number to cut; cut out shapes on traced lines. Remove paper backing.
3. Fold each A square in half and crease to mark the vertical and horizontal centers.
4. Center, arrange and fuse the fish shapes on A in numerical order referring to the pattern.
5. Arrange and fuse the circle shapes on the B squares referring to the Placement Diagram for positioning.
6. Straight stitch around edges of each fused shape with thread to match fabrics to complete the Fish blocks and B squares.
Completing the Four-Patch Blocks
1. To complete one Four-Patch block, join two C squares to make a row; press seam in one direction. Repeat to make two rows. 2. Join the rows with seams in alternating directions to complete one Four-Patch block; repeat to make a total of 18 blocks.
Completing the Quilt
1. Referring to Figure 1, arrange and join the Fish and Four-Patch blocks with B squares in rows and sections; press seams toward B and Fish blocks. 2. Join the rows and sections, again referring to Figure 1, to complete the pieced center; press seams in one direction.
3. Sew a D strip to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press seams toward D strips.
4. Join the E strips on short ends to make one long strip; press seams open. Subcut strip into two 50" E strips.
5. Sew the E strips to opposite long sides of the pieced center; press seams toward E strips.
6. Sew an F strip to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press seams toward F strips.