I am > i was
Savage continues to grow as an artist as he reflects, not always positively, on the life he has built following a troubled and violent past. The often mumbled, but always harmoniously uttered lyrics cover the inescapable feelings of loss and pain, which no amount of fame or money will ever fully assuage. The production value of i am > i was reaches a new level of quality and variety, with bass, soul and synth all played powerfully and painfully on the Atlantan’s new album.
1. Growing up, 21 Savage suffered the loss of several friends and his brother, killed by gunfire. He has also been shot six times himself.
2. He was called 21 Savage on Instagram before he brought the name to the stage.
3. The dagger tattoo, in his brow-line, was inked in honour of his brother, Quantivayus.
4. For his 24th birthday, Drake bought Savage a Ferrari, after they linked up on Drake’s song, “Sneakin’”.
5. Born Shayaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, Savage has three children.