Methodist church has Wesley exhibit
John Wesley, who founded the church of Methodism with his brother, Charles Wesley, and Anglican cleric George Whitefield, are the focus of the latest exhibit at First United Methodist Church in Little Rock.
According to The Watkins Dictionary of Religions and Secular Faiths, Methodism was originally a nickname for the Holy Club, an 18th-century religious society to which the brothers belonged. After he experienced an “evangelical conversion,” John Wesley would go on to establish the societies that, linked by Christian commitment, would separate from Anglicanism to form the Methodist Church, and — with the Evangelical Brethren in the United States — would form the United Methodist Church in 1968.
The exhibit’s grand opening will be held at the church’s museum, 723 Center St. in Little Rock, from 3-5 p.m. Dec. 16.
The exhibit will be open on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tours can also be scheduled. arumc.org or (501) 904-1280.