Hart’s comments cost him Oscars gig
Kevin Hart has stepped down as host of the 2019 Oscars.
After he claimed he was pressured by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to apologize for past homophobic comments, the comedian announced Thursday night his decision to step away from hosting this year’s ceremony.
“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s,” said Hart on Twitter. “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”
Hart had previously revealed on Instagram that the Academy was demanding he apologize for tweets that had resurfaced after it was announced earlier this week that he would host the ceremony. Critics pointed out that the comedian had a history of making homophobic remarks.
Hart had urged people to “stop searching for reasons to be angry” in an even earlier post Thursday.
In one of his Thursday statements, Hart emphasized how people “live” and “learn” and “grow” and “mature” over the years rather than directly address any of his past comments.
“I’m in a great place,” said Hart. “A great mature place where all I do is spread positivity.”