HUD delays $16 billion for storm protection
to please approve these rules for publication as soon as possible so we can get started on construction of vital infrastructure projects to protect Texans from the type of damage caused by Hurricane Harvey,” said Bush, the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, in a letter Wednesday to Trump’s budget director and acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney.
Neither HUD nor staff at the Office of Management and Budget responded to inquiries about Bush’s letter, which was previously reported by Bloomberg. HUD says on its website that the entire department is closed,
“due to the lapse in Congressional Appropriations for Fiscal Year 2019.” lion of the money, followed by Texas ($4 billion), Louisiana ($1.2 billion), the U.S. Virgin Islands ($ 774 million) and Florida ($550 million).
But according to state officials, the Department of Housing and Urban Development has yet to issue regulations on how states and U.S. territories can apply for the money. While the ongoing government shutdown is adding to the delays, the problems preceded the current stalemate, according to the office of Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush, who this week sent the Trump administration a letter complaining about the situation.
“I am writing to ask you
The Trump administration has delayed the release of $16 billion in storm protection funds, prompting complaints from officials in Puerto Rico and Texas, who say the money is vitally needed to protect coastal communities before the next hurricane season.
Congress last February authorized the $16 billion in disaster mitigation funds, to be used for projects to better safeguard communities damaged by floods and hurricanes in 2017. Puerto Rico was slated to receive $8.3 bil-