Officials suspect overheated furnace in mobile home fire
Multiple agencies responded to a fire at a trailer in State Park on Wednesday afternoon that was started by a suspected overheated furnace.
Just before 4 p.m., a neighbor called 911 to report smoke coming from a home in the 500 block of Clarence Street, State Park fire Chief Herb Simmons Jr. said. When firefighters arrived, they did not see flames or smoke coming from the house.
Simmons said the assistant fire chief looked into the home to see whether anyone was inside and observed heavy black smoke. Caseyville and Fairmont City fire departments were called to assist.
No one was inside, but the floor and rear bedroom were severely damaged, Simmons said. Though a cause had not been determined, Simmons predicted the furnace was to blame.