Benton parks posts food allergy warning signs
The Benton Parks and Recreation Department has added food allergy warning signs at all their local playgrounds after a request from a local parent.
“I have been overwhelmed with the positive feedback on social media,” said Benton Parks and Recreation Director Stephanie Jones. “I even received an email yesterday from the Parks Director in Ogden, New York, about implementing these signs. A simple request that has had a positive impact already.”
Jones said the decision to add the signs was made after local resident Taylor Parsons contacted the department.
“I received an email from a parent in the community who has a child with a lifethreatening food allergy,” Jones said. “After doing some research, there are more people with food allergies than I realized and they are most common in young children. (Parsons) was brave enough to step up and make a request. She is not only advocating for her child, but for others in Saline County.”
There are currently nine signs that will be located at all of the
department’s local playgrounds and the splash pad.
“Most of our playgrounds are adjacent to pavilions and picnic areas so it was ideal to place them there,” Jones said. “Currently we are not looking to add additional locations, unless we feel there is a need.”
The cost for the signs was $250 and was paid for through the department’s signage budget.
According to Jones, the signs help bring awareness to the issue and will help educate people who might not realize the dangers of food allergies.
The signs detail the fact that one in 13 children have food allergies and that patrons can help limit possible exposure with two simple steps–only eating in the picnic area and cleaning hands after eating.
“Hopefully these signs will bring awareness to many more and give parents who have children with lifethreatening food allergies peace of mind that their children can play safely in their local parks,” Jones said.
The Benton Parks and Recreation Department has installed food allergy warning signs at all their local parks and the splash pad in order to alert visitors about the dangers of food allergies.