The Saline Courier Weekend
Benton School Board considers digital learning plan
During the regular Benton School Board meeting Monday, the board will hear about the district’s digital learning plan.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Eric Saunders will present the waivers the district is requesting.
According to an amendment for the plan, only 19 applications have been received for digital learning. Teachers would teach virtual based on their choice.
The amendment said if the number of eligible students exceeds capacity, the plan would have to be revisited.
The board will also consider the Ready for Learning plan, which includes plans for using Google Classroom if schools, classes or the district is forced to close. Paper packets will only be available on limited and emergency circumstances. The district will share locations where students can download and upload their work if they do not have internet access at home.
“Our goal is for your child(ren) to have as normal of a day as possible while providing as much safety as possible,” the document reads.
The district plans to social distance where possible and classrooms will be arranged to allow for space.
The sharing of supplies and work surfaces will be minimized.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Larry Smith will present proposed changes to the COVID leave policies, such as changing the expiration date to June 30, 2022, and eliminating references to Federal COVID Leave. The change would go from 15 days to five.
The board will also:
• consider a proposal for financing of an elementary school project and a resolution to proceed with the issuance of second lien bonds.
• consider a resolution requesting the Saline County Election Commissioners declare an election by candidate.
• consider revised board policies.
• consider proposed changed to certified salary schedule, indexes and stipends.
• consider student transfer requests.
• consider personnel recommendations.
• hear the superintendent’s report.
The board will honor Kristi Chumley with a Panther Pride Award for being named GT Administrator of the Year.
The board will meet at 5:30 p.m. in the Chenault Administration Building,
207 West Conway Street, in Benton. Meetings are open to the public.