CARAMELIZED BANANA CREAM PIE
prep 1 hour chill 1 hour
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup half- and- half or light cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. vanilla
8 oz. white baking chocolate, finely
3 egg yolks
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 cups whipping cream
6 bananas (about 21/2 lb.)
Broken chocolate bars
12 Cookie Tart Shells
1. For caramel sauce, in a large heavy saucepan combine brown sugar, half- and- half, butter, and the kosher salt. Place over medium- low heat. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until bubbly around the edges, whisking gently. Add vanilla; cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until slightly thickened. Transfer to a serving bowl; cool. Cover and chill up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
2. For white chocolate cream, place white chocolate in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale, about 2 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan bring 1/2 cup of the whipping cream to a simmer over medium heat. Slowly whisk into yolk mixture. Return to saucepan; cook and stir until mixture coats the back of the spoon. Pour through a fine mesh sieve placed over the bowl of chopped chocolate. Cover bowl with foil and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until nearly smooth (some pieces of white chocolate may not completely melt). Cool 1 hour.
4. In a separate bowl whip remaining cream to almost stiff peaks. Fold half into white chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining whipped cream. Cover; chill until set, about 1 hour.
5. To assemble, slice bananas 1/4- inch thick and place in a medium bowl. Stir in the juice of one lemon and 1/4 cup of the caramel. Fill each tart shell with bananas, top with white chocolate cream, caramel sauce, and broken chocolate bars. Makes 12 tarts.
cookie tart shells In a large bowl knead two 16.5- oz. rolls refrigerated sugar cookie dough and 1/2 cup all- purpose flour until combined. Transfer to a floured surface. Roll dough, half at a time, until 1/4 inch thick. Using a fluted cutter, cut into twelve 41/2- inch rounds. Press rounds into 4- inch pie or tart pans. Bake in a 350° F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown (dough will puff in pans but fall during cooling). Cool completely on wire racks. Use a small sharp knife to loosen edges from pans; carefully remove from pans. Set aside until ready to assemble or store in airtight containers up to 2 days. per tart 911 cal, 48 g fat (25 g sat. fat), 140 mg chol, 737 mg sodium, 117 g carb, 3 g fiber, 89 g sugars, 8 g pro.
COFFEE WITH A KICK Tim spikes after- dinner iced espresso with coffee- infused tequila and a splash of milk and sugar.