DOUBLE CHEESEBURGERS WITH BASIL, BACON, AND EGG
pictured on page 34. prep 30 minutes grill 6 minutes
1 recipe Bacon Aioli, or garlic and bacon
flavored mayo (optional)
11/2 lb. ground beef chuck (80% lean)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled to
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (optional)
4 eggs (optional)
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded
4 hamburger buns
Fresh basil leaves
1. If you like, prepare Bacon Aioli; set aside.
2. In a large bowl gently mix ground beef, parsley, butter, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; shape into eight patties about 1/4 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Indent center of each patty.
3. If desired, pour oil into large skillet with a lid over medium heat. When oil shimmers, crack each egg into small bowl and then tip each egg into pan. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper; cover. Cook eggs until desired doneness. Transfer eggs to plate.
4. Grill patties, covered, over medium heat 6 minutes, turning once halfway through* and topping with cheese the last 1 minute of grilling. Remove from grill. Spread 2 Tbsp. Bacon Aioli on cut sides of buns. Stack 2 patties on a bun bottom. Top with fried egg, if desired; add basil leaves and bun top. Makes 4 burgers.
* tip The higher fat beef chuck and butter may cause flare- ups. Keep a squirt bottle filled with water handy to extinguish flames, and move burgers to a cooler zone on the grill, if needed. bacon aioli Preheat oven to 350° F. Place 16 garlic cloves on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, seal foil pouch; bake about 20 minutes or until garlic is very soft. Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium- high heat. Add 8 slices chopped bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 7 or 8 minutes. Use slotted spoon to transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels. When garlic is soft, remove from oven, unwrap, and squeeze cloves out of skins into a small bowl. Mash with a fork. Add bacon and 1 cup mayonnaise and stir to combine. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
per burger 451 cal, 31 g fat ( 13 g sat. fat), 103 mg chol, 382 mg sodium, 15 g carb, 1 g fiber, 2 g sugars, 27 g pro.