CHERRY HAND PIES
prep 45 minutes bake 20 minutes at 375° F
3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened
pitted tart red cherries
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. orange juice
31/2 cups all- purpose flour
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
11/2 cups butter, cut up
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
1. For filling, in a medium saucepan combine first five ingredients (through orange juice). Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cool. (Or transfer to an airtight container and chill overnight. Stir before using.)
2. For pastry, in an extra- large bowl stir together flour, 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in eggs. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of the milk over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, gradually adding milk until mixture begins to come together.
3. Gather pastry into a ball, kneading gently just until it holds together. Divide pastry into fourths; form four balls. If needed, cover with plastic wrap and chill until easy to handle (up to 1 hour).
4. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry ball into a 9×8- inch rectangle; cut into four 41/2×4- inch rectangles. Brush edges with additional milk. Spoon 1 rounded Tbsp. filling onto half of each rectangle; fold remaining half of rectangle over filling. Seal edges and prick tops with a fork. Place on prepared baking sheets. Brush pies with additional milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Remove; cool slightly on wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 16 pies.
per pie 327 cal, 18 g fat ( 11 g sat. fat), 69 mg chol, 295 mg sodium, 37 g carb, 1 g fiber, 14 g sugars, 4 g pro.