SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM BASE
prep 25 minutes chill 4 hours
13/4 cups whole milk
5 tsp. cornstarch
13/4 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set a slightly smaller bowl in the same large bowl. (Make sure water doesn’t go into smaller bowl.) Set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together 3 Tbsp. milk and the cornstarch until smooth.
3. In a large saucepan combine remaining milk, the cream, sugar, dry milk, and salt; whisk until no lumps remain. Cook over medium- high heat until mixture just comes to boiling, whisking frequently. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4 minutes.
4. Add cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
5. Pour mixture into smaller bowl in ice water. Using an immersion blender, blend 1 minute. Let stand in ice water 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove bowl from ice water. Cover; chill 4 to 24 hours until well chilled.
7. Uncover mixture; blend with immersion blender or whisk until smooth.
8. Churn in a 11/2- to 2- qt. ice cream freezer according to manufacturer’s directions. Store in an airtight container; freeze overnight. Makes 8 servings.
per serving 276 cal, 21 g fat ( 13 g sat. fat), 65 mg chol, 173 mg sodium, 20 g carb, 0 g fiber, 18 g sugars, 4 g pro.
coffee & donuts Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed, except add 1/4 cup ground coffee to the milk mixture in Step 3; strain, if desired, before chilling. After churning, fold in two plain cake or glazed donuts, cut up. Serve with caramel ice cream topping, if desired.
honey-thyme Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed, except use 1/3 cup sugar. For thyme- infused ice cream: Before Step 3, in a small saucepan combine cream with 10 fresh thyme sprigs; bring just to simmering. Simmer gently, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs. Use infused cream in Step 3. In Step 7, blend 1/2 cup honey into mixture. After churning, transfer to freezer container; freeze overnight. Serve with additional honey and thyme.
triple-fudge swirl Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed, except before Step 3, make a chocolate paste: In a small saucepan combine 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 oz. chopped bittersweet chocolate, and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream. Heat over low heat until chocolate mixture forms a smooth paste (mixture will be thick). Add chocolate paste and cornstarch mixture in Step 4; whisk until smooth. After churning, layer ice cream and dollops of hot fudge ice cream topping (about 1 cup) in a freezer container. Freeze overnight. Top scoops with sea salt.
strawberry shortcake Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed, except before blending in Step 7, add 3/4 cup crème fraîche. For strawberry puree: In a large bowl toss together 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, and 2 Tbsp. granulated and/or packed brown sugar. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place in food processor; process until smooth. After churning, layer ice cream, strawberry puree, and 11/2 cups coarsely chopped biscuits in a freezer container; freeze overnight. summer sangria Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed, except blend in red wine reduction before chilling mixture. For red wine reduction, in a large saucepan combine one 750- ml bottle fruity red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Red Zinfandel) and 1 cup orange liqueur. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until reduced to 3/4 cup. After churning, fold in 1/2 tsp. orange zest. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze overnight.
spicy sweet corn Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed, except before Step 3, make corn- infused cream: Cut kernels from 6 ears corn. Cut cobs in 11/2- to 2- inch pieces. In a 5- quart pot combine 21/2 cups whipping cream with corn cobs and corn kernels. Bring just to simmering. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl; chill, covered, 2 hours. Remove cobs from cream; strain cream through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on corn kernels. Measure 13/4 cups cream, adding additional cream, if needed. Discard corn and cobs. Proceed with Step 3 using corn- infused cream in place of whipping cream. Before blending in Step 7, add 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 tsp. ground ancho chile pepper or cayenne pepper. After churning, fold in 1/2 tsp. lime zest. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze overnight. Top scoops with additional chile pepper and lime zest.
BONUS IDEA! lemon bar Prepare Sweet Cream Ice Cream Base as directed. After churning, layer ice cream in a freezer container with dollops of purchased lemon curd (about 1 cup). Freeze overnight. Serve topped with lemon zest and sprinkled with powdered sugar.