DOUBLE CHERRY SLAB PIE
prep 30 minutes bake 45 minutes at 350°F
33/4 cups all- purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
11/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter, cut up
2/3 to 1 cup cold water
2 12- oz. pkg. (5 cups) frozen
unsweetened pitted tart
1 cup sugar
1 cup cornflakes
3/4 cup dried tart cherries
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 egg white
1 Tbsp. water
1. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pea size.
2. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, gradually adding water until mixture begins to come together. Gather pastry into a ball, kneading gently just until it holds together. Divide pastry into two uneven portions (one portion should contain two-thirds of the pastry); form into balls. Cover with plastic wrap.
3. For filling, in a bowl combine next five ingredients (through lemon zest).
4. Preheat oven to 350° F. Roll larger pastry ball between two pieces of lightly floured waxed paper into a 17×12- inch rectangle. Carefully invert pastry into a 15×10- inch baking pan. Press pastry up sides of pan.
5. Transfer filling to pastry- lined baking pan. Roll remaining pastry ball between floured waxed paper into a 16×11- inch rectangle. Cut slits or desired shapes in pastry. Invert pastry rectangle onto filling and seal.
6. In a small bowl combine egg white and 1 Tbsp. water; brush over top pastry. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 16 bars.
each bar 354 cal, 14 g fat (4 g sat. fat), 10 mg chol, 276 mg sodium, 54 g carb, 2 g fiber, 28 g sugars, 4 g pro.
It’s potluck time! Take the edge off the transportation trepidation: Each of these self-contained sweets can sail safely to the potluck in its own pan.